FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, June 24, 2017
Contact: Brian Liskai
By Brian Liskai
FREMONT, Ohio – Rusty Schlenk has been in a bit of a slump lately. He used the return of the Sunoco American Late Model Series (ALMS) to Fremont Speedway Saturday, June 24 to break out of that winless streak to score his second career victory at “The Track That Action Built” on Smith Family Foods Night.
After a spirited battle involving Ryan Missler, Schlenk and John Henry throughout the first half of the race, Schlenk, from McClure , Ohio , took command on lap 18 and survived several cautions to score the victory.
“We had a whole lot of attitude out there with that race track. I like a track like this. There was some patchy spots with moisture and slick every where else. You really had to pick your way through it. I like these tracks that put the driver in control. The car was pretty good every where tonight. I really think I could have gone to the top in one and two but man it was pretty treacherous up there. The crew told me to go to the bottom and I didn’t want to make them mad so I finished off on the bottom. I have to thank all these guys behind me. They busted their butts…we’ve been racing since Wednesday. This is the first win in about a month and I’m glad to get that monkey off our backs. I have to thank Tyler Borck of Buckeye Concrete Coatings for fielding this car for me, CJ Rayburn Cars and everyone else that helps out,” said Schlenk in the Engine Pro Victory Lane .
Fremont, Ohio’s John Ivy held off a late race charge from Nate Dussel to claim his second win of the year in the Fremont Federal Credit Union 305 Sprints. Ivy now has 54 career Fremont wins, placing him in a tie for fifth on the track’s all-time win list with hall-of-famer Herbie Robinson.
“The top was kind of rough there and I knew I had to stay up there. I saw Dussel and Rando (Steve) stick there nose under me and I figured I’d just stay on top and hopefully it would work out for me. I think the left rear tire was going down…she was slamming pretty hard. I have to thank Guy and Darren and my brother and Ron and everyone that’s been helping out on this deal. We’ve been struggling a little bit here. Hopefully this will help us turn the corner,” said Ivy beside his CN Construction Supplies; Ginnever Trucking; Sonny’s Machine & Welding; Kistler Racing Products; Rohr Lawn Care; Mr. Appliance; MRE; Sipes Oceola Garage; Dave Story Equipment; L&R Farms; S&S Racing: Kercher Engines; Linder’s Speed Equipment; Tiffany’s Furniture; Seagate Sandblasting; Keller Hardware; Johnson Hunting & Fishing backed #77i.
Fostoria, Ohio’s Shawn Valenti just keeps rolling in the Burmeister Trophy Dirt Trucks. He took the lead on the third lap and drove to his fifth victory of the year at Fremont and seventh overall (2 wins at Attica Raceway Park ). Valenti now has 37 career wins at Fremont , placing him 11th on the all-time win list at the track.
“Hats off to Rich (Farmer, track promoter) on an awesome track. Like Rusty said earlier, it was a challenging deal with corner being slicked off but that’s what makes a driver. I saw on that last restart he (Dustin Keegan, the only other driver to beat Valenti this year) was up to second and I knew he was going to be a hand full. Hats off to him…he’s got that thing going pretty good,” said Valenti beside the A Plus Auto Center; Best Performance; Craig Miller Trucking; Dave Story Equipment; Real Geese Decoys backed #7B.
In the 30 lap ALMS feature, Ryan Markham and Kent Brewer brought the field to green but Brewer would spin, collecting five other cars. When the green flew on a complete restart Ryan Missler grabbed the lead over Markham , Ky Harper and Schlenk. Following a lap three caution, Missler continued to lead Markham, Schlenk, Harper, Jon Henry, Ken Hahn and Lauren Longbrake. Just as the leaders were going to enter heavy lapped traffic the caution came out on lap eight.
When the green flew the battle for the lead was on between Missler, Markham and Schlenk. Another caution with 11 laps complete kept everyone glued to Missler’s rear bumper. Markham would spin with a flat tire on lap 13, setting up another duel between Missler and Schlenk. The pair battled side by side over the next couple of laps before Schlenk took the lead on lap 18. Henry would steal second from Missler on lap 19. With 10 laps to go Missler spun, giving third to Harper. However, debris from Harper’s machine on lap 22 sent him to the tail.
Schlenk would pull away when the green flew with Henry comfortably in second with a fantastic battle going on for third involving Hahn, Longbrake and Markham who had charged back to the front. Schlenk drove to the win over Henry, Markham, Longbrake, and 18th place starter John Brooks.
Jason Keckler and Ivy led the field to green for the 25 lap 305 sprint feature with Ivy gaining the advantage over Keckler, Tyler Street , Steve Rando, Nate Dussel and Brandon Moore. Ivy and Keckler pulled away slightly from a great battle for third involving Street, Rando and Dussel. Rando took the spot on lap four. Keckler began to eat into Ivy’s lead when the caution flew on lap nine just as Ivy was going to enter into heavy lapped traffic.
With a clear track, once the green flew Ivy maintained his lead as Rando drove into second followed by Keckler, Dussel, Paul Weaver and Kyle Capodice. With 10 laps remaining Ivy prepared to drive into lapped traffic allowing Rando to close with a tremendous battle for third involving Keckler, Weaver and Dussel. Just as Rando drove to Ivy’s inside for the lead, Weaver and Keckler would tangle sending Weaver upside down. He was not injured.
On the ensuing restart Ivy held off Rando who now had to deal with Dussel with Moore , Capodice, Street, Alvin Roepke and Bobby Clark in pursuit. Dussel grabbed second with five laps to go and closed on Ivy. Dussel took several looks to Ivy’s inside, particularly in turns three and four as Ivy bobbled a couple of times against the cushion. But, the veteran Ivy was able to hold off Dussel for the win with Rando, Moore and Street rounding out the top five.
Kyle Farmer and Brad Mitten led the field to green for the 20 lap Burmeister Trophy Dirt Truck feature with Mitten taking the lead over Farmer, Valenti and Keegan. Valenti moved into second on lap two and drove around Mitten for the lead a lap later. A spat of six cautions between laps five and 10 kept the field close. Once the green flew with 10 laps to go, Valenti would be hounded the rest of the way by Keegan. The battle for third was entertaining between Mitten, Cory McCaughey and Jeff Ward.
At the checkers Valenti won by four truck lengths over Keegan, Mitten, Ward and McCaughey.
Fremont Speedway will play host to the Open Wheel Shoot-Out presented by Willie’s Sales and Service Saturday, July 1 featuring an all sprint car program. It will feature the All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads FAST 410 Championship Series presented by Ohio Logistics going for $3,000 to win; the Great Lakes Super Sprints/NRA Sprint Invaders 360 sprint battling for $2,000 to win; and the JLH General Contractor FAST 305 Championship Series presented by Engine Pro going for $1,000 to win.
For more information about Fremont Speedway go to www.fremontohspeedway.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FremontSpeedway or on Twitter https://twitter.com/FremontSpeedway.
Saturday, June 24, 2017
Smith Family Foods Night
[*] designates starting position
ALMS Late Models
1.CJ1-Rusty Schlenk, 15.155; 2.15-Jon Henry, 15.461; 3.5M-Ryan Markham, 15.535; 4.50Y-Ryan Missler, 15.618; 5.71-Dave Hornikel, 16.125; 6.95J-Jerry Bowersock, 16.244; 7.6*-Graeme Short, 16.260; 8.27H-Ken Hahn, 16.404; 9.28-Kent Brewer, 16.621; 10.69-Jeff Warnick, 16.752; 11.23-Dustin Sautter, 16.780; 12.27-Lauren Longbrake, 16.815; 13.34-Ky Harper, 16.867; 14.00-John Brooks, 16.966; 15.101-Chester Fitch, 16.984; 16.06-Jake Rendel, 17.012; 17.30-Nate Potts, 17.099; 18.006-Jarett Rendel, 17.300; 19.12-Bobby Michaels, 17.439; 20.C4-Zach Calkins, 17.473; 21.6-Steve Sabo, 17.493; 22.17x-Dustin Keegan, 17.574; 23.4M-Jamie Miller, 17.731; 24.95-Louis Kimberlin, 18.022; 25.27K-Jay King, 18.070; 26.16-Brad Mitten, 18.414; 27.5-Chester Fitch III, 18.423; 28.53-Hillard Miller, 36.150; 29.7X-Scott Gonion, 100.000;
Heat 1 - (10 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 5M-Ryan Markham ; 2. 50Y-Ryan Missler ; 3. CJ1-Rusty Schlenk ; 4. 15-Jon Henry ; 5. 71-Dave Hornikel ; 6. 95J-Jerry Bowersock ; 7. 006-Jarett Rendel ; 8. 00-John Brooks ; 9. 16-Brad Mitten ; 10. 27K-Jay King
Heat 2 - (10 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 28-Kent Brewer ; 2. 101-Chester Fitch ; 3. 27H-Ken Hahn ; 4. 69-Jeff Warnick ; 5. 23-Dustin Sautter ; 6. 06-Jake Rendel ; 7. 17x-Dustin Keegan ; 8. C4-Zach Calkins ; 9. 4M-Jamie Miller ; 10. 95-Louis Kimberlin
Heat 3 - (10 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 34-Ky Harper ; 2. 6*-Graeme Short ; 3. 27-Lauren Longbrake ; 4. 53-Hillard Miller ; 5. 30-Nate Potts ; 6. 6-Steve Sabo ; 7. 5-Chester Fitch III ; 8. 12-Bobby Michaels ; 9. 7X-Scott Gonion
B-Main 1 - (12 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 95J-Jerry Bowersock ; 2. 6-Steve Sabo ; 3. 00-John Brooks ; 4. 06-Jake Rendel ; 5. 17x-Dustin Keegan ; 6. 006-Jarett Rendel ; 7. 5-Chester Fitch III ; 8. 16-Brad Mitten ; 9. 27K-Jay King ; 10. 4M-Jamie Miller ; 11. 95-Louis Kimberlin ; 12. 12-Bobby Michaels ; 13. C4-Zach Calkins
A-Main 1 - (30 Laps)
1. CJ1-Rusty Schlenk ; 2. 15-Jon Henry ; 3. 5M-Ryan Markham ; 4. 27-Lauren Longbrake ; 5. 00-John Brooks ; 6. 27H-Ken Hahn ; 7. 71-Dave Hornikel ; 8. 53-Hillard Miller ; 9. 28-Kent Brewer ; 10. 06-Jake Rendel ; 11. 95J-Jerry Bowersock ; 12. 17x-Dustin Keegan ; 13. 6-Steve Sabo ; 14. 34-Ky Harper ; 15. 50Y-Ryan Missler ; 16. 6*-Graeme Short ; 17. 69-Jeff Warnick ; 18. 23-Dustin Sautter ; 19. 30-Nate Potts ; 20. 101-Chester Fitch ; 21. 006-Jarett Rendel
Hard Charger: 00-John Brooks +13
305 Sprints - Fremont Federal Credit Union
Heat 1 - (8 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 19R-Steve Rando ; 2. 8-Bobby CLark  ; 3. 12-Kyle Capodice ; 4. 99-Alvin Roepke ; 5. 5JR-Jimmy Mcgrath ; 6. 09-Justin Adams  ; 7. 47-Matt Lucius ; 8. 14-Luke Daughtery
Heat 2 - (8 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 25-Jason Keckler ; 2. 1-Nate Dussel ; 3. 1W-Paul Weaver ; 4. 4*- Tyler Street  ; 5. 94K-Kevin Mingus ; 6. 36-Seth Schneider ; 7. 11X-Jordan Ryan ; 8. 22M-Dan McCarron
Heat 3 - (8 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 66D-Chase Dunham ; 2. 77I-John Ivy ; 3. 2-Ricky Peterson ; 4. 7M-Brandon Moore ; 5. 10-Josh Harrison  ; 6. 75-Jerry Dahms ; 7. 66-Jamie Miller
B-Main 1 - (10 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 36-Seth Schneider ; 2. 66-Jamie Miller ; 3. 09-Justin Adams  ; 4. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 5. 11X-Jordan Ryan ; 6. 47-Matt Lucius ; 7. 14-Luke Daughtery ; 8. 75-Jerry Dahms
A-Main 1 - (20 Laps)
1. 77I-John Ivy ; 2. 1-Nate Dussel ; 3. 19R-Steve Rando ; 4. 7M-Brandon Moore ; 5. 4*- Tyler Street  ; 6. 8-Bobby CLark  ; 7. 12-Kyle Capodice ; 8. 99-Alvin Roepke ; 9. 66D-Chase Dunham ; 10. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 11. 36-Seth Schneider ; 12. 11X-Jordan Ryan ; 13. 94K-Kevin Mingus ; 14. 09-Justin Adams  ; 15. 10-Josh Harrison  ; 16. 2-Ricky Peterson ; 17. 66-Jamie Miller ; 18. 25-Jason Keckler ; 19. 1W-Paul Weaver ; 20. 5JR-Jimmy Mcgrath
Hard Charger: 22m-Dan McCarron +9
Dirt Trucks - Burmeister Trophy
Heat 1 - (8 Laps)
1. 7B-Shawn Valenti ; 2. 17x-Dustin Keegan ; 3. 23m-Brad Mitten ; 4. 36M-Cory Mccaughey ; 5. 33-Jeff Ward ; 6. 49X-Noah Wagner ; 7. 5s-Brad Stuckey ; 8. 4X-Eddie Bryant ; 9. 51W-Thomas Anderson 
Heat 2 - (8 Laps)
1. 29-Kyle Farmer ; 2. 16-Jim Holcomb ; 3. 115-Ben Good ; 4. 99-Gene Potridge ; 5. 26-Kyle Lagrou ; 6. 48-Jeramiah Halbeisen ; 7. 1H-Zeth Sabo ; 8. 4s-Keith Sorg ; 9. 2-Brian Sorg
A-Main 1 - (20 Laps)
1. 7B-Shawn Valenti ; 2. 17x-Dustin Keegan ; 3. 23m-Brad Mitten ; 4. 33-Jeff Ward ; 5. 36M-Cory Mccaughey ; 6. 4s-Keith Sorg ; 7. 29-Kyle Farmer ; 8. 49X-Noah Wagner ; 9. 4X-Eddie Bryant ; 10. 99-Gene Potridge ; 11. 26-Kyle Lagrou ; 12. 16-Jim Holcomb ; 13. 51W-Thomas Anderson  ; 14. 48-Jeramiah Halbeisen ; 15. 5s-Brad Stuckey ; 16. 115-Ben Good ; 17. 1H-Zeth Sabo ; 18. 2-Brian Sorg
Hard charger: 4s-Keith Sorg +9