Kemenah wins thriller
By Scott Hall
Haulmark All Star Sprint Results - Fremont Speedway - Thu. 6/30/05
FREMONT, OH - It was a real barnburner Thursday night
at Fremont Speedway as Chad Kemenah was in the lead when rain began falling
on lap 37 in the Haulmark All Star Sprint Raceweek feature. Kemenah held
off Byron Reed and Jeremy Campbell for the rain-shortened win. It was his
second Raceweek win and fourth of the season in the Harble Racing No. 15K
Eagle. Kemenah survived three close calls in the feature, a wing bending
collision with Rob Chaney, a Mike Lutz spin right in front of him in which
Kemenah narrowly slid by and another Paul May spin right in front of the
leader. Fremont's surface was lightning fast as a half inch of rain fell
earlier in the afternoon.
"The first time I don't know how I fit through that deal,"
Kemenah stated of his close call with the spinning lapped cars. "I didn't
want to see the 71 or 98 cars again! I was waiting for the front axle to
fall out. It was a really good night. It was a really good race for the
fans and that's what counts," the All Star points leader concluded while
standing in the rain in victory lane.
Mike Linder and Kemenah started from the front row with
Reed and Campbell in row two. Kemenah rocketed out to the early lead by
a half straight over Linder before a lap three yellow slowed the pace.
Linder drove high on the backstretch around Kemenah into the lead after
the restart, and when the leaders got into lapped traffic, Reed cruised
past Kemenah, who said his car
was tight early in the race, into second. Reed stole the lead from
Linder in lapped traffic on lap 12, and Kemenah took over second two laps
later. It was now a three car race for the lead, with three wide action
in heavy lapped traffic. Campbell soon joined the fray, and took over third
on lap 16. A lap later Linder regained the spot as Reed struggled to hold
Reed pushed back out to a three car length lead once past
lapped traffic, but Kemenah found the low groove to his liking and reeled
in the leader. Kemenah drove low going down the backstretch and passed
Reed to retake the lead on lap 26. Linder was still in contention, but
had his hands full holding off Campbell, and now Jac Haudenschild who started
14th, joined the lead pack.
Lap 31 saw Mike Lutz and Paul May spin right in front
of Kemenah, leaving just enough space between the cars for Kemenah to squeeze
by, but Linder could not avoid the pair and spun to a stop, ending his
fine third place run.
Kemenah pulled out to a slight lead on the restart, with
Reed second and Campbell third. Reed was trying to reel in the leader as
rain began to fall on the backstretch, and when May and Lutz spun again,
with Kemenah avoiding disaster again, All Star officials declared the race
complete on lap 37 as rain continued to fall.
Haudenschild ended up fourth behind Campbell, with Kenny
Jacobs fifth, followed by Kelly Kinser, Mark Keegan, Kevin Huntley, Danny
Smith and Dale Blaney.
The Crown Battery heat fell to Bobby Clark, the B&B
Products heat went to Brock Mayes, the Engler Machine and Tool heat was
won by Mike Brecht and the TP Wings heat fell to Jac Haudenschild. Marty
Perovich won the Outerwears Pre-filters C Main and the University of Northwestern
Ohio B Main was won by Kevin Huntley who was also the Huggins Cams Fast
The program was pushed through quickly with the threatening weather,
and the 305 sprints got two of four heats in before the rains fell.
Huggins Cams Time Trials: 1. Kevin Huntley, Fisher 2x, 12.324;
2. Mark Keegan, Keegan X, 12.435; 3. Kelly Kinser, Kinser 4k, 12.520; 4.
Danny Smith, Smith 4, 12.572; 5. Jeremy Campbell, Campbell 10c, 12.608;
6. Byron Reed, B&S 5, 12.618; 7. Andrew Palker, Palker 57x, 12.622;
8. Chad Kemenah, Harble 15k, 12.678; 9. Ryan Coniam, Bancon 46, 12.691;
10. Mike Linder, James 3, 12.709; 11. Kenny Jacobs, Hunter 2, 12.716; 12.
Randy Hannagan, THR 1x, 12.730; 13. Ricky Logan, Grove 70, 12.743; 14.
Rob Chaney, SC Racing 9x, 12.762; 15. Barry Ruble, Ruble 63r, 12.782; 16.
Jac Haudenschild, Roth 83jr, 12.805; 17. Paul May, May 71m, 12.807; 18.
Brock Mayes, Brock Mtspts. 11B, 12.810; 19. Dale Blaney, Elden 22, 12.838;
20. Cody Geldart, Geldart 6g, 12.842; 21. Bobby Clark, Clark 8, 12.852;
22. Todd Kane, Kane 78, 12.865; 23. Mike Brecht, Hammons m20, 12.882; 24.
Caleb Griffith, Ludwig 12, 12.886; 25. Dean Jacobs, Pullins 29, 12.895;
26. Brandon Martin, Martin 11m, 12.903; 27. John Ivy, Carousel 5i, 12.910;
28. Alvin Roepke, Roepke 99, 12.912; 29. Bill Rose, Rose 6, 12.946; 30.
David Harrison, Ludwig 10, 12.953; 31. Scott Miller, Becker 7B, 12.955;
32. Kurt Winker, Kirian K, 12.960; 33. Craig Mintz, Sabo 8s, 12.961; 34.
Greg Wilson, Hampshire 63, 12.966; 35. Todd Heller, Heller 14h, 13.002;
36. Shane Helms, Helms 40, 13.028; 37. Marty Perovich, Saldana 17au, 13.108;
38. Bob Bennett, Acme 3, 13.115; 39. Mike Lutz, Chiappelli 98, 13.123;
40. Matt Lucius, Lucius 1a, 13.142; 41. Brian Smith, Riehl 55, 13.146;
42. Scott Euler, Euler 27, 13.223; 43. Kerry Madsen, VerMeer 55, 13.243;
44. Lee Jacobs, Burmeister 16, 13.295; 45. Cory Seeling, Seeling 97, 13.433;
46. Jeremy Keegan, Keegan 24, 13.680; 47. Keith Baxter, Baxter 1b, no time.
Crown Battery Heat (10 laps): 1. Clark 2. May 3. Campbell
4. Logan 5. D. Jacobs 6. Huntley 7. Perovich 8. Coniam 9. Rose 10. B. Smith
11. Seeling 12. Mintz.
B&B Products Heat (10 laps): 1. Mayes 2. Chaney 3.
Linder 4. Reed 5. Wilson 6. Kane 7. Martin 8. M. Keegan 9. Harrison 10.
Bennett 11. Euler 12. J. Keegan.
Engler Machine & Tool Heat (10 laps): 1. Brecht 2.
Blaney 3. Kinser 4. Madsen 5. K. Jacobs 6. Lutz 7. S. Miller 8. Palker
9. Ivy 10. Ruble 11. Baxter 12. Heller (DNS).
TP Wings Heat (10 laps): 1. Haudenschild 2. Geldart 3.
Hannagan 4. Kemenah 5. D. Smith 6. Winker 7. Griffith 8. L. Jacobs 9. Helms
10. Roepke 11. Lucius.
Outerwears Pre-filters C Main (10 laps): 1. Perovich 2.
Bennett 3. L. Jacobs 4. B. Smith 5. Lucius 6. Seeling 7. Euler 8. J. Keegan
University of Northwestern Ohio B Main (12 laps): 1. Huntley
2. M. Keegan 3. Coniam 4. Harrison 5. Ivy 6. Griffith 7. L. Jacobs 8. Winker
9. B. Smith 10. Miller 11. Rose 12. Lucius 13. Perovich 14. Martin 15.
Helms 16. Ruble 17. Kane 18. Bennett 19. Roepke 20. Palker 21. Mintz (DNS).
A Main (37 laps): 1. Chad Kemenah 2. Byron Reed 3. Jeremy
Campbell 4. Jac Haudenschild 5. Kenny Jacobs 6. Kelly Kinser 7. Mark Keegan
8. Kevin Huntley 9. Danny Smith 10. Dale Blaney 11. Dean Jacobs 12. Brock
Mayes 13. Randy Hannagan 14. Greg Wilson 15. John Ivy 16. Mike Linder 17.
Ryan Coniam 18. Paul May 19. Mike Lutz 20. Mike Brecht 21. David Harrison
22. Rob Chaney 23. Kerry Madsen 24. Bobby Clark 25. Cody Geldart 26. Ricky
Lap Leaders: Chad Kemenah 1-3. Mike Linder 4-11, Byron Reed 12-25, Kemenah